Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Season of Giving

But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving maybe in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
- Matthew 6: 3-4

The above has always been one of my favorite bible verses. I had the good fortune to see it in practice this weekend. I had taken a break from cleaning this weekend and gone to grab a burger and Andy's. I was sitting at the counter next to cash register. While I was eating, three EMTs came in and sat at a booth in the back. A woman (I'm not sure if she was eating or happened to see them come in) came to the register and quietly told the waitress that she wanted to pay for the EMTs' lunch. The waitress asked who should she tell them was paying. She asked not to be identified.

I just about lost it right there in the restaurant. How wonderful! I am sure this lady quietly went on with her day. Not mentioning her good deed to anyone. The waitress and I were the only people who knew the entire story. It may sound strange, but I always feel really wary of people who boast their "good deeds." Lately, I've noticed that there are a lot of people who do the "right thing." But there is another group of people who do the right thing for the right reasons. Giving, to those we know and don't know, should be heartfelt and not to make ourselves look better to others.

The anonymous giver had not intended to fill my heart with joy, but she did. She has warmly started off this holiday season by reminding me it is truly the season of GIVING!

2 comments: