Monday, July 23, 2012

Farm Days

Growing up, I spent a lot of time shucking corn, snapping beans, digging potatoes and yes, shelling peas.  It has been a very long tim since I have done it.  I look back at it fondly though.  My grandmother, aunts, cousins, and my mom dutifully doing our share.

When mom's cousin called one morning and said to come get some peas, dad went.  We had NO idea what we were getting into.  I started shelling at 10:30am and shelled pretty much non stop with at least one person helping me until 8:30 pm.  That's a mess of peas ya'll.  Can I tell you who didn't shell any.  Brett!  He wanted NO part of that job.  When I was done, we had 8 bags of peas to be frozen and one large pot cooking.  I had forgotten how great they taste!  Mom is picking up some butterbeans (fully shelled and bagged this time) and is bringing some to me.  SO excited about this!  I love the taste of the farm!

No comments:

Post a Comment