Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What I'm Reading..

The people that know me extremely well often ask what I'm reading. I have been an insatiable reader since age 3. I often read some books numerous times when I enjoy them. I usually always have one with me just in case I have a free second. So I thought when I read something new I'd blog about it.

Currently, I am reading Unthinkable (http://www.amazon.com/Unthinkable-Survives-When-Disaster-Strikes/dp/0307352897) I really enjoy a good nonfiction and this one is great. If you enjoy a good episode of 20/20 or Dateline you'd love this book. Basically, it tells you why certain people survive disasters and why. It goes into the human brain and the differences in people and what makes them react in certain ways. A lot of the examples are taken from 9/11 and the stories of survivors. About two years ago I read 102 Minutes, which told numerous stories from that day so it is really interesting to apply the reasons why some people got out and others did not. It also talks about fires, hurricanes and other disasters that you are more likely to encounter.

I am also reading another nonfiction, Lost: The Search of Six in Six Million. This is a heavy hard read so I am taking a break for now and will write about it when I finish.

Summer reading suggestions:
- The Time Traveler's Wife - Probably one of my all time favorite books. I could read it a million times. It is actually being made into a movie in the fall so read it this summer.
- Beach Music - Another favorite. Pat Conroy, enough said.
- Anything by Jodi Piccoult is a nice read. Not quite chic-lit, but a good quick read. I've read everything she has written, but my personal favorite is My Sister's Keeper which is also being made into a movie. (Darn you Hollywood, you always ruin great books!)

If anyone wants a different suggestion let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Have you read any good parenting books lately? I am looking for something fresh and new...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi Piccoult's new one is good so far. Im about 100 pages into it but had to put it down for the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.. hmmm wonder why.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stella-

    I came here via your post on mt blog. I am a major reader too so I am excited to get some recommendations!!

    I see the post by Courtney. As a mother of 4, I have so many to recommend but here are 2 Parenting books:

    Shepherding your Child's Heart by Ted Tripp

    BabyWise (if you are pregnant or have a under 1 year old) by the Ezzos

    and the one I am reading now

    Parenting by the Book by John Rosemond

    all full of wisdom that we have used to raise our kids. . .

    ReplyDelete