Wednesday, August 12, 2009

More on Couponing

I had some emails and comments about couponing so I will do some answering. Not too long after I had Moses, I began reading a blog written by News and Observer reporter, Sue Stock. She writes about good deals in the area with an emphasis on couponing. I began collecting my coupons and started deal searching in January. This past spring I started a "coupon club" with three other friends. We swap coupons to maximize our savings and stock piles. We also took a class with Su Soutter (The Intentional Home blog).

I mostly stick with Harris Teeter when it comes to groceries. They ALWAYS double coupons under $.99 and you can use twenty coupons a day. What I learned from the blogs and the class was invaluable. I usually only buy on sale and WITH a coupon. I do break this rule when I really need something (ex. I used a coupon w/o a sale for wipes when I ran out last week). But usually I have an awesome stock pile and I tend not to run out of staple products. (ex. I had gone about three months without buying wipes because I had 8 boxes stock piled from past couponing trips)

These ladies helped me organize my coupons into a system that works for me. I have definitely tweaked couponing over the past few months. I prioritize what I need before I go, especially when they are having triples. It takes some time and dedication and some trial and error shopping trips, but you can get the hang of it.

If you are thinking about getting into it, I would start clipping coupons and not using them. Create a nice stock pile. I really recommend taking Su's coupon class if you can. She teaches tons of things and even goes into drug store programs like CVS extra care bucks. Also, get a diversified group together and start your own club. Our joke in our coupon club is we need someone with a cat because we always discard cat products! I always benefit (for now!) from diaper, wipes, and toothpaste coupons. It is also awesome to have people supporting you in what you are doing. Believe me, your husband and family members will laugh at you when you start but the first time you come home and save significantly more than you spend...the laughing stops!

2 comments:

  1. Stella I started the grocery game trial 5 weeks ago and have been quite addicted particularly this past week with triple coupons at HT. I spent $20 yesterday, saved $42 with coupons and $19 with my Vic card. Most of it wasnt from the grocery game this week because I strategized before I went like you mentioned. I am working on the stockpiling thing. Milk and eggs are always purchased and not on sale but that is fine with me. We freeze lunch meat as well. I am quite addicted and love knowing how much I have saved. We also have over $100 in gift cards to CVS from filling new prescriptions there so between the Extra Care Bucks, Gift Cards, coupons and their instore deals we love CVS even though their prices are high.

    Im glad to know I'm not the only one hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stella-

    Thanks so much for recommending my coupon class .. I had to come over here and see what you wrote because I have been getting so many visits from your blog. . thanks!! I love teaching others how to spend less at the grocery store so they can ___ more and give more!! Love it!!! I am soooo interested in how you organize your coupon swaps. . so many ladies have emailed me wanting something like this. . so I have thought about gathering "past coupon students" at the house one night or even one day at the park with the kids and swapping . .but how do you organize it. . what are your "rules". . .if you can shoot me an email or if you would do a post on that. .I would appreciate it. . .I guess I am thinking with 20-30 ladies you got to have some kind of organization. . .I have some ideas but would love your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete