Let's just start with the fact that I was four days over due. In August. In NC. Oh, and did I mention my husband was convinced long walks on the golf course would induce labor? Even the men playing golf felt sorry for me!
Anyways, since I was convinced I was going to have to be induced I told mom and dad to visit on that Sunday. Mom was going to do my hair and we were just going to hang out. I slept really well that night and my eyes popped open at 8am. Being pregnant, I made a bee-line for the bathroom. I had developed a method of shifting to empty my bladder, but I thought that maybe my water had broken. I called Brett in and we decided to call the doctor. I hopped in the shower knowing that it was probably going to be a long day.
We got everything ready and we still had not heard back from the doctor. By then I was positive my water had broken so we headed off to the hospital. We called my parents who were so surprised! We asked them where they were on road. Then they asked us where we were. Oh, we were heading to the hospital! We also called Brett's mom and stepdad so they could start their drive. We stopped to get a bite to eat and then went to Rex. I really wish I could have eaten that Bojangles biscuit!
They got me into a room and all hooked up. I was having contractions but wasn't feeling anything so they hooked up the pitocin. By this time it was probably around 10am. I wanted to wait to get the epidural till I was actually feeling pain because I was afraid it would run out at the wrong time. My parents came in and visited and brought Brett something to eat. ENVY! By this time the contractions were hurting so I asked for my epidural.
My super sweet nurses were awesome! I was so relaxed and was even able to sleep. Around 1pm I was at 5cm. They said I would probably be pushing by 7 or so. The afternoon wore on and I progressed to 8cm. And that's when things just stopped. I started getting a little sick and not as comfortable. Around 8pm my epidural had worn off and they thought I was probably dilated more but swollen. They gave me the option to wait and see if things would change or we could go ahead with a c-section. In pain and very tired I thought the c-section would be the best way to go.
This decision did not come easily. I was not afraid of the surgery, but I was really upset about a long recovery time. I was easily calmed by Brett who assured me we would be ok. I was really ready to get back to surgery because of the pain. That spinal block was what I needed to calm down. I really wish I would have known the name of the anesthesiologist. When you are having a c-section that is the person who is with you the ENTIRE time. They brought Brett in after they had started so this sweet man was helping me while I was sick and letting me know what was going on.
At 9:05pm they pulled out Moses Jackson Barker at a whopping 9lbs 3ounces. It was a good thing I had a c-section! He was crying and they put him next to me to say hello. When I started talking he stopped crying and turned toward me like he knew exactly who I was. Brett went with him to video and take pictures of him getting weighed and measured.
I held him while they wheeled us back to recovery and got a chance to spend a little time with him and try to nurse for a few minutes. I SO wish I felt better during this time because it seems like such a blur. The biggest blessing was Brett having the video camera to capture him getting a bath and taken care of.
I won't go too much into how sick I was but it was a rough time. I'm allergic to pain medication so I was very sick during and after the birth. I also had two units of blood and ended up with gas bubbles in my back from not moving around enough.
The next time around (hopefully!) I will be a scheduled c-section. The doctor said that even with a smaller baby he thought I would have the same problem. Let's just same I'm ok with that! It was so worth it and I am so happy to have given birth to such a sweet healthy boy!
So sweet! I forgot Moses was that big!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story... you'll appreciate writing it down! His name is so fitting to him... How did you choose it?
ReplyDelete