Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Where did "Moses Jackson" come from?

Lindsey asked: His name (Moses) is so fitting to him... How did you choose it?

I get this question A LOT! After Brett and I had been dating awhile he mentioned to me that he wanted to name his son after his father, Moses. His dad passed away when he was young so it is something he felt strongly about. I'll be honest, before I was pregnant I was not too sure. It can be rough having a name that is different. Once I was pregnant I embraced it. I think family names are the BEST. It automatically gives you history with someone in your past.

His middle name, Jackson is from my side of the family. My great-great grandfather's middle name to be exact. I really hate that it is such a popular name now because everyone thinks I picked it to be "trendy."

I think that his name flows so well. I use both names together some, but I call him Moses J a lot. What is strange to me is that from the very beginning I have called him Buddy. Probably more often than his regular name. He is my best buddy!

If you are looking for baby names I really recommend trying to do your family tree and see what names go together. I have heard great double names from grandmothers or even maiden names for first names. I did some of ours this winter and found that the girl name I like was a maiden name from a LONG time ago. In fact a too many to write great grandfather's name was Moses Sutton. It was just meant to be.

Keep asking questions! I love them and it gives me great blogging ideas! Leave them in a comment or email them to me at starrose@hotmail.com. It's time for the lurkers to surface!

P.S. Lindsey I LOVE THE BLOG! I'm totally obsessed with all the fun stuff you do!


2 comments:

  1. I adore his name. He just 'looks' like a Moses! And the history is fantastic! Thanks for the shout-out! I love your posts too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly, we think family names are special too!!

    ReplyDelete