Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Consignment Sales!

It's that time of year again! Time for consignment sale shopping!! I've been purposefully putting off buying anything for the new baby until after I hit up all my major sales. I realize a lot of people that read my blog are pregnant or are thinking about shopping these sales (or even selling their stuff) for the first time, so I thought I'd give my top tips for buying and selling!

Buying:
- Make a list!! Know what you really need to come away with. How many shorts, shirts, shoes, dress clothes etc. What gear you want and need or toys you would really like to have.
- Make a budget!!! I usually carry cash with me to make myself stick to it.
- Bring something to put your stuff in. In the past I've carried a hamper and even Moses' wagon. That way you can put a lot of stuff in it and not have to hold on to it constantly.
- If this is a big sale, and you plan on doing some serious buying, get there early. I can't tell you how much my husband teases me for this. He however does not complain when he sees what all I've bought! The really good stuff can go fast. Especially the big ticket items. If you want the baby swing that looks brand new for nearly nothing, be one of the first in the door.
- Be patient. And be willing to not be upset if someone gets something you want or if they just don't have it.
- Be nice. Help each other out. Talk to people in line and if you find something they are looking for grab it for them. They are more than likely to do the same for you.
- Sort. Find somewhere way out of the way and go through what you picked up. This will make checking out much easier and make you accountable to your budget.
- Bring a friend. Or better yet a mom, mother-in-law or sister. The more hands the better.
- For the sake of others and yourself LEAVE YOUR CHILDREN AT HOME!!

Selling
- Plan ahead. It usually takes a long time to go through all the stuff you want to sell and then tag it. Don't wait till the last minute.
- Presentation is everything. Make items look nice. Use appropriate hangers and bags. Make sure your things are not stained,torn or broken. Most places refuse these items.
- Be realistic. I've heard SO many people complain about their stuff not selling. A quick look at the price tag and I know exactly why. Yes, your stuff is nice, but it's not making you any money hanging on the rack. Other people know the secret to being profitable at these sales is to price accordingly. Their stuff will sell before yours! You'll be a lot happier picking up a check than an armful of unsold items.
- Read the rules of the sale. Know the "dos and don'ts" and it will make things easier.
- Be on time for drop off and pick up.
- Develop a relationship with a sale. There are tons of sales. Selling at several will make you crazy. Pick one and get to know the people and the rules. It will make life easier.
- Volunteer. Until I was on the committee that put on our church's sale I had NO idea what it took to put it all together. Nothing brings a sense of appreciation like lending a hand.

To say I love these sales is an understatement! It has really become necessary in our lives to use them as our primary source of shopping for children's items. I even caught myself telling Moses last week to not drag he shoes on the cement because I paid $5 for them and his brother had to wear them too! Good luck everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment