Saturday, August 27, 2011

Until the Decision is His, The Commitment is Ours

Sutton with his "fairy godmother" Joelle


This past Sunday was a special one for Sutton and our family. Since we are Baptist, we believe that the decision to be a Christian is one that has to be made by each person. When a baptism is performed, it is by choice (I personally think it is wonderful to have a full immersion baptism. I think is shows just how serious you are about joining the church.) At our church, we do what is called a dedication. This means we commit ourselves to raising our child in a Christian home and teaching him about Jesus and what it means to believe in him.

After the sermon the four of us went before the church and Kristen Muse our associate pastor introduced us to the church and read the verses we have chosen for Sutton. We chose Zephaniah 3:17 for him. It reads, "The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save you, He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will exult over you with singing."

After she spoke, we handed Sutton to Dr. Hailey who "showed him off" to the the church. At this point Sutton had the hiccups! After this he prayed over Sutton and our family and gave him back to us. He said he hoped that the prayer would cure his hiccups but it didn't work. It all went very well. I knew Sutton would be fine, but I was really worried that Moses would try to announce that it was his birthday or something!

After the service, we came back to our house and had lunch with our friends and family. It was so nice! I was horrible at taking pictures because I was so busy putting out lunch and then I had to feed Sutton. But I did take a picture of the food and the extremely yummy cake. Thank you to all of those who made that day so special! I know it was a whirl wind weekend and I promise I will never have three parties in one weekend again!

No comments:

Post a Comment