Take a good look at these two people. Yes that Me and Brett ten years ago and 60ish pounds ago. We've added a marriage, home, two boys, career changes, work location changes, renovations and many other things. But it had a place of beginning. This photo was taken a week after we met. I think we had a date every night that week and then headed to the beach with one of Brett's friends. Still getting to know each other and quickly learning that this was going to work.
So, how did we meet? I honestly cringe every time I hear that question. So many friends were set up by mutual friends, or just spotted each other at an event, or my personal favorite, met on a mission trip. Nope not us. We do it old school college even though we were out. We met at East Village on July 19, 2003. Only months after I graduated from Meredith and a couple of years after Brett graduated from NCSU.
That night I did not want to go to EV. I was at Bogarts with some girlfriends when my friend Frank called to encourage us to head to EV. EV? Ew. No! That's a college bar. He offered us a ride as a DD. That was the kicker. We did need a ride. On the way, I asked who was going to be there. He told me his friend whose house he had just moved into. Oh yeah. That friend I hadn't met yet. He was a college graduate, owned his own home, car, and had an adorable black lab. Man that guy was sounding good on paper.
When we got there I recognized and noticed a few people I knew and tried to make conversation. But the guy standing next to me was loudly talking about going to the beach. I asked which one and we immediately started talking. Also I might add, with the encouragement of many of his friends trying to sell me on all of his wonderful qualities. (Ahem, Steve Chilton)
While we were talking he asked me out. Then stopped himself and said, "Wait are you a UNC fan or State fun." I answered that indeed I pulled for the wolfpack. A look of relief flooded his face. Ladies play close attention to what me focus on during early conversations. You could be talking about a large part of the rest of you life!
That week I called my mom and told her I thought I met a guy who I might marry one day. She said, "You've dated a lot, and I've never heard you say that." I replied, "I know." And that was that.

No comments:
Post a Comment