Tuesday, September 15, 2009

100th Post

Wow. That's a lot of posting! What am I going to write about? Nothing earth shattering, just an update really.

My sweet little baby boy, the light of my life, is turning into a toddler. I am very proud to say that he has been over three weeks since he last nursed. He actually weaned himself. I had stressed out about it for the last two months. It was remarkably, dare I say it, easy! Since pumping had been an issue, he also does not get a bottle. He drinks only whole milk and water and LOVES both. Big praise for this.

With the good, does come the...not so good. Moses has always been busy and into everything but now he is definitely letting us know that he is not happy if he does not get his way or we take something away from him. At the same time he is cutting at least one tooth and napping has been off which does nothing for his temperament. It has however made him cuddly which is nice because a part of me does miss nursing him.

This brings me to a question to my fellow mommies. How did you guys handle/are handling discipline at this age? I correct him by saying "that's a no" or "dangerous." I have also gated off a little time out area in the hallway which he now uses to run laps and giggle. In public (i.e. today at the doctor's office) I do what I affectionately refer to as the straight jacket hold. Usually this is to calm him down, but I do not want for him to associate sitting in my lap as punishment.

I have been assured that we are doing all the right things and he will "get it" soon enough. Whew. What a whirlwind. He is a sweet boy though. I think we'll keep him!

1 comment:

  1. It must be the age because Zeke is becoming a handful, too! We pop Zeke's hand and say "no" or "dangerous". When we were going through a biting phase I popped his mouth. I do generally try to give him the correct option (with biting we say "give kisses" or if he tries to hit we say "be gentle) I also hold his hands and show him the behavior I am looking for (touching another kid softly, gently putting a toy down). I LOVE the book Don't Make Me Count to Three by Ginger Plowman, if you haven't read it definitely do. Sorry I am flooded your comment box, but I was a developmental therapist for 4 years with babies-3 years old, so I have tons of ideas. :-)

    ReplyDelete