Sunday, March 20, 2011

Birth Plan, Take 2

The saying, "We make plans, and God laughs" is never more true than when you make a birth plan. NOTHING ever goes as planned. However, knowing I will have a c-section makes things a little easier to map out. Also, knowing what went wrong the last time will make it easier to prepare.

The day I am scheduled to have Sutton, Moses is in school. This will make life much easier for me! I know that he will be busy and happy that day. My plan is for him to have a "Big Brother Day" since his birthday is during the summer and he doesn't get a class party. He'll come home and have a nap and get a snack and then go meet his new brother. If for some reason I go into labor before then, I do have a back up plan. A sweet friend who lives near the hospital and has a child Moses' age that has offered to be on call for me. This is a relief because we do not have any family in town!

As far as the hospital goes, we have talked extensively with my doctor about what happened last time. I was very sick during the entire surgery and after. Later that night I passed out and was given two units of blood the next day. We have a plan to combat all of this and I know to be more vocal about my needs. Brett also has a greater understanding about what I need medically (a traumatic event can do that!). I have also asked my parents to be at the hospital on stand by to support Brett and I. My mom can pretty much look at me and know what is wrong and that puts me at ease.

The biggest thing I can and WILL control is when everyone gets to see the baby. I have NO memory of the moment our family and friends met Moses the night he was born. I do remember a sweet friend holding my hair back as I got sick. I REALLY do not want to miss these moments. I also feel that Moses should meet his brother first and our family should have sometime alone together. There will be NO pictures sent out via phone or Facebook before we have the honor to do so. (Yes, this did happen last time.)

My advice for first time mommies is to have a birth plan, but also have a post birth plan. Do NOT let family or friends pressure you into something you are not comfortable with. You are the one in the hospital essentially having a medical procedure performed. Do not feel guilty about being "unfair" to someone. Your health and little family is what comes first. Guard it! Besides, no one can be upset with you when they are holding a sweet baby!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to meet little Sutton! I can't wait to see what a great big brother Moses will be! - Lindsey T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adhere to your words :) Got to your blog by chance. Kind regards from south South America.

    ReplyDelete