After stopping by the house to pack up the car, Brett and I were off to the hospital. I felt confident that they would be busy and I would have to wait. Well that was the first thing they told me! We actually only waited five minutes before they took us back to triage to get me prepped. My surgery was scheduled to start at 12:30pm. The nurses kept telling me over and over that things were so busy and they thought I would be pushed back but they would not know until it was closer to my scheduled time. Well Dr. Placide swooped in a little before 12pm and said that he had worked it out and we would be going back soon!
Luckily my parents arrived just in time to get Brett some lunch and to see me for a quick second before they wheeled me back for surgery. Brett was put back in the little room to get dressed and wait for me to be ready. (I'm going to go into a little detail here because I think it is important for people to know about c-sections and what REALLY happens.) The anesthesiologist came in to put in my spinal block. She had a hard time because of my scoliosis. I think I was stuck somewhere between 7-8 times. OUCH. So not fun. They laid me down and started to get the rest of me ready!
I feel really lucky I spoke to my friend Katherine who had problems a lot like me the first time and who has had a repeat c-section. She told me to remember to breathe even if it felt like I couldn't. Thank goodness for this advice! Your chest feels very heavy and you are breathing but it doesn't feel like it. I could talk but felt like a shouldn't just in case. Brett came in and I think I barely said three words to him.
It only took about 10 minutes or less to get Sutton out. Dr. Placide had told me that morning he thought Sutton was going to be another big baby while I thought maybe smaller. As soon as he started to deliver him he informed me I was VERY wrong! As soon as they pulled him out I could hear him crying. They gave me a glimpse of Sutton and they took him off to be cleaned and weighed. Brett joined him not too long after. That left me there with my crazy heavy chest and the chatting doctors and nurses. It is SO weird to listen to them talking and not be able to respond, but the strangest thing is hearing them count the instruments and sponges so that they know they have gotten everything out! That went on for about 30 minutes. Yes, most of the surgery is spent putting me back together!
I was wheeled into recovery where I had the BEST nurse! She stayed with me the entire time. Since it was so busy, they had sent Brett and Sutton up a floor to get him checked out and get his real bath. I felt better every minute I was in recovery. Brett came down right before they were ready to send me to my room. Sutton was going to meet us there. To my surprise they wheeled us into the SAME room that I was in when I had Moses. How crazy is that!!??
I was able to be examined and get my contacts in before they finally brought Sutton in. I was able to nurse him and spend some time with him and Brett. It was SO great!! I did get sick twice during this time but it was quickly controlled with nausea medication. I think it was mainly because I got hot.
About an hour after this, Moses and his grandparents arrived. Brett went to get Moses and brought him in. He was very quiet and didn't say a word and just looked at Sutton. He was just ready to get his grandparents in I think. They all came in and got to hold him and they brought in the little cake I bought and Moses got to sing Happy Birthday. It was so sweet and special!
Congratulations Stella...I just love Sutton's name, too sweet!
ReplyDeleteThis post made me tear up!! Can't wait to meet him and think that you couldn't have planned a more special day to welcome him into the world and let Moses be so involved! You go mama!
ReplyDeleteWelcome, Sutton!! I'm so happy for you all! _LDT
ReplyDelete