At the end of August, it seemed like everyone was sick. All of us had hand, foot and mouth and as soon as that was over we all got small colds. However, Sutton couldn't seem to shake his. He woke one morning struggling for breath and coughing so hard he threw up. I rushed him to the doctor where they put him on the nebulizer for several treatments. They also had me purchase a machine and continue them as needed for a few days with an oral steroid. It was scary! I thought he was going to hate the machine strapped to his face. I was SO wrong. He loved it because it made him feel better!
The next weekend we went to visit my parents. The first morning we were there, Moses ran into the back of my dad's truck and cut his head pretty badly. We decided to carry him to the urgent care, where luckily he did not need stitches but a little glue. He came through like a champ and got a little reward for being a big boy. Big shout out to CVS having transformers. It was a huge help!
When we thought we were in the clear, I headed into the craziest week of my life...chairing the Kidz Stuff Consignment Sale. It was a mad house and I was gone from sun up to sun down. During all this Sutton got ANOTHER cold/runny nose. We really thought it was brought on by teething. Sunday morning we noticed what we thought was the beginnings of the wheezing. We gave him one treatment and it seem to only work slightly. Brett decided to take him back to the doctor and I went out to the break down of the sale. Before I could get my group started, Brett called and said they wanted to do chest x-rays at Rex Hospital. Major.mommy.freakout.guilt happening here! I blew out of there and met Brett. Sutton had another nebulizer treatment and was all high on albuterol so he was running around in circles and happy. Luckily, he calmed down and sat completely still for his x-rays. That had to be by the grace of God!
Later that afternoon, Dr. Artman called up and said that Sutton had not aspirated or swallowed anything so this leads them to believe he has bronchial asthma. Basically, when he gets congested he as risk for breathing problems. To combat this he will use a nebulizer with steroids twice a day as a preventative measure. Right now it seems a little overwhelming to have to give breathing treatments to such a small child twice a day, but I know there are so many parents who have much larger issues to deal with so I am grateful that we have a treatment plan.
Sutton is taking it all in stride. Nothing has really changed with him. He is still wide open all over the place. It seems like nothing can slow him down!



Camille had the exact same thing!! WE own our own breathing machine too!! The good news is that we have been able to wean Camille off of the treatments when cold season isn't bad.... so back on in the winter for sure, but completely off if for most of summer and fall! Best of luck!
ReplyDelete