Since Brett and I have been married, we've been able to steal one night here and maybe another there alone together. But we were way over due for more than that. We decided to schedule a work trip as a working vacation. We arrived in DC Saturday late afternoon and spent most of our time and the Air and Space Museum. Afterwards we made our way to the hotel. I loved the doubletree. The commercials where they have warm cookies waiting for you. It's so true and they.are.so.good.
We had talked about the different places we could go out to eat. I was SO exhausted from cleaning and packing the night before, getting up early and driving down, and then walking around the museum that we voted to order room service in our lovely upgraded suite. I was asleep at like 9pm. Now THAT'S vacation.
The next morning we woke up and made our way to Old Ebbit Grill. Many of our friends who live and have lived in the area told us it was a must! I did not disappoint. Great food in a very cool atmosphere with cool history. We timed it so well too. We ate and made our way to the White House. We waved Good Morning to the President and then noticing how, um, gruff the DCPD seemed we kept on moving. By the time we finished walking toward the Holocaust Museum they were opening the doors. This is what I really wanted to do in DC. Since I read the Diary of Anne Frank in the third grade, I have wanted to know more and this was the place to do it. It took 2 - 2.5 hours to get through it. Lots of reading and film clips and emotional outcomes. If you go to DC I would make this a morning trip and a lunch after to reflect and regroup with a more positive attitude. It is a deep, emotional time in our not too recent past and for some very recent. As you exit, you will notice a plaque and a large photo of a security guard that was shot and killed a few years ago by a white supremacist and holocaust denier. It is a reminder that the propaganda and ideas are still published and believed which means, the fight to end hatred is far from over.
We continued our day in the Smithsonian American History Museum which was really cool. I loved the evolution of travel with the different cars, trains, bikes, and other ways to get around on the road. By this time I was hungry (shocker) and we wanted to get on the road towards Delaware before it gets too late. Getting out of DC and headed in the right direction was the biggest challenge. I don't like tunnels and Brett does not like traffic circle, particularly when his wife is yelling "Big Ben! Parlament!
We checked in to our hotel in Wilmington, Delaware. We were sent to a great Italian restaurant to eat and came back JUST in time to see my favorite show Walking Dead. I know Nicole Hines understands. The next day, Brett had meetings and I had free time. However, I had no clue where to go. I blindly, using all my common God given womanly abilities and found a shopping center with a Target, Old Navy, Miachels, etc. This was important because Delaware may seem like a whole in the ground but they don't have any sales tax. BAM, I'm Christmas shopping.
I met back up with Brett and hung out in the lobby of an office building waiting for him to finish up and then we headed up to Jersey. We met up with his friend Zeb and his new Fiance Danielle and another couple at the Chophouse in Gibbsonville. If you are ever in the area GO. It makes Ruth Chris look like Golden Corral. So yummy and I think I tasted pretty much everything. After dinner we found our hotel in Northern Jersey. I was so excited. The next day, we were heading to NYC!
We took the train from Jersey to Penn Station which was really remarkably easy. On top of that, it was a balmy 70ish degrees in December in NYC. Unheard of! Our hotel was only two blocks from Penn Station/Madison Square Garden. This put us between the fashion/garment district area. A short walk to Hearald Square and Rockafellar Center. We saw the Christmas sites which seemed odd given the weather.
We found this awesome Jazz/BBQ joint called Blue Smoke. YUUMMMMMM! Great BBQ says the country folk! Seriously, this place is a must eat as far as food quality and affordability in the area. Even the service was good which can be hit or miss in NY as well.
And then it was on to the main event. NCSU vs. UCONN in Madison Square Garden. Brett was jacked and well over served. I'd compare it to a kid at Christmas who at all the dessert and was told to go drive santa's sled. YEP, that's who I sat next to. I prayed the entire time for the video guy to stay far far away from us. I did not need video evidence of that nonsense. Luckily, State one and I had a happy husband.
The next day I slept in a little and ventured out on my own to do some shopping. I love just walking a round seeing what I find. My favorite place was one called Pink! which specializes in wholesale jewelry but is open to the public. Picked up some great things there! I continued to make my way around shopping until it finally happened.
My bags fell apart and it was time to get the heck out of there. I took the train back to Jersey and collapsed in our 5th hotel for the week. Room service? Yes please! We continued around Jersey the next day and each time I dropped Brett off, I could find some shopping to do. It was just a lot of driving!
Our last destination was to be the Bolgotta Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City. Interesting, because I don't gamble and I have been on some medication so I can't drink. (Let me be clear: I AM NOT PREGNANT) So, we went to a cocktail party where I met a lot of people I have heard on the phone and heard Brett talk about. We all planned to catch dinner at the end of drinks. Problem. They kept that bar tab wiiiiiiiddddeeeee open till past 8:30pm. At home we eat at 5pm. We both looked at each other smiled and walked out. Played a little black jack and then went up stairs to order room service and watch Greys Anatomy.
We thought we'd wake up and drive straight home. Nope. At the cocktail party Brett was asked to join a lunch in Maryland for that day. So we booked it there and I dropped him off. Surprise! I found a shopping center where I scored a major discount plus gift card purchase I will explain after Christmas.
I was so glad to see the boys when I got home. Lots of snuggles have gone on this week. Brett and I did get some great quality time. I am also reminded that I am very TYPE A and Brett is well zzzzzzz. It was interesting to see that piled in a car and a small hotel room. It was good because I force him to plan and he forces me to relax. Hopefully next time we can leave the work at home!
No comments:
Post a Comment