Friday, August 23, 2013

Mommy Goes to Football Camp

 You are reading and seeing this correctly.  I, Stella Barker, attended the NCSU Women's Football Clinic.  And you know what?  It was awesome!  My friend Lindsey's husband signed her up and begged someone to go with her.  I volunteered because I had been curious about going before and kind of wanted to see and meet our new coach. 

 I have to tell you I was really impressed.  The Athletic Director is Debbie Yow and she is super impressive.  I highly respect how she is thriving in a field dominated by men.  She knows her stuff!  She spoke briefly as did Coach D.  Then our group was left with a small panel of current players (pictured above).  These guys are the captains of the squad.  They were well spoken and SO nice.  Some of them have already gotten a degree, and are working on their masters in a specific field like Math or engineering.  The others are Seniors and are scheduled to graduate in December or the following semester.

Someone asked them what they wanted to do after college.  One answered he wanted to be a good husband (he is engaged) and one day good father.  Every.single.woman clapped.  Another player talked about his hopes for a professional football career.  He added his father always reminded him that the NFL stood for Not For Long.  Love that!
 After question and answer portion Coach D gave us a little power point presentation about  the xs and os.  Not going to lie, I spaced out a little and checked facebook on my phone.  I really do understand a lot about football, but I can only handle so much.  I did snap this photo of the clock that was counting down till the first game!
 We also toured the locker room and tried on some gear and practiced our Heisman pose.  Watch out world!  We also had demonstrations at the aquatic center and weight lifting room.  When they were going "best on best" in the weight room, the coach there asked up what happened when they continued to try to compete and beat each other.  The answer?  They got better.  I thought that was a great way to look at it and not be discouraged.  Why it's good to compete!
 After the tours they took us out on the field and got to run some plays with the players.  We ran into Jen who we went to school with.  She has done the camp before and showed us the ropes.  I loved it!  I have to say it again.  I was SO impressed with how nice and polite the players were.  They really made it so we all had a good time.
We decided to train for a year and come back so we can show the players and coaches how awesome we really are next time!  GO PACK!!

No comments:

Post a Comment